21 January 2006

My First (Non-Scientific) Stereo Photo

Lots'a blog postings this week, sorry about that.

After visiting all these 3-D conferences I felt lame that I never made my own artsy 3-D photo like everyone else. Sure, I did it in the lab once or twice, but never for the fun of it. Here goes nothing. (I apologize in advance for ignorance of the basics, such as toed-in vs. toed-out; eye separation; etc. Just went with what looked right on my screen.)

I thought you'd enjoy a 3-D picture to look at. Click on this photo and look at it cross-eyed until the objects merge into one scene. Try to relax -- this can take 10 seconds or so -- until your eyes regain focus. If you do it right, you should see this in 3-D. (If you do it wrong, it means you're tense or tired. Don't strain yourself.)



Click on photo and view cross-eyed.

Make your own stereo photos:
  1. Set up a scene
  2. Grab your digital camera and turn the flash OFF.
  3. Place camera on flat stable surface about 2 feet away from the scene and snap a picture.
  4. Slide the camera a little to the right (like the length of your thumb) and snap another picture.
  5. Import photos. Put "L" and "R" in the picture titles.
  6. Export photos as JPEGs and then insert them into a photo editor or even PowerPoint.
  7. Scale them down (Equally) and crop out any wasted area.
  8. Put the L photo on the right, and the R photo on the left.
  9. View crosseyed. If you're straining to see it, try pushing the photos closer together... or pulling them farther apart.
g

3 comments:

RLB said...

Hi G-Fav,
I'm bummed that I can't make your photo work for me. Neither can Prof B. For me, the two groups of objects seem too far apart -- I can see them start to "move toward each other" but I can't get them to go far enough to merge into one image. I'm usually pretty good at Magic Eye stuff, though.

G-Fav said...

Hmm... for the benefit of those @ home, I suggested to RLB and Prof B that they cross their eyes -- that is, look at the space between the screen and their nose -- by holding up a finger 6 inches from their face and looking at it.

If that's too hard, I may make an alternate photo with L and R swapped so that it looks correct if you fixate _beyond_ the screen rather than in front of it. (I.e., "wall-eyed.")

Anyone actually manage to see this? For me it's pretty easy, but then again I've had a lot of practice.

g

Anonymous said...

Great fun

Daddy Vin