06 January 2006

Octopi? Tattoos?

Hello!

Here's a link from GeekPress to a BBC article, "100 things we didn't know this time last year." Two examples?

19. The = sign was invented by 16th Century Welsh mathematician Robert Recorde, who was fed up with writing "is equal to" in his equations. He chose the two lines because "noe 2 thynges can be moare equalle." (Is that true???)

29. When faced with danger, the octopus can wrap six of its legs around its head to disguise itself as a fallen coconut shell and escape by walking backwards on the other two legs, scientists discovered.


And "Ted" pointed me to a neat story about geek tattoos, including some of the worst transistor symbols I've seen: Revenge of the Tattooed Nerds. I really like the pixellated video game character tattoos! (Don't worry, J-Fav.)

g

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read and I think you're cute when you're incoherent. Just stop making fun of NPR.

-J-fav.