01 February 2006

Dither Kernel

This pixelized self-portraiture must come to an end! I doubled the "resolution" per side, so this one took four times as long. I hope you get a kick out of the tiled primitives, visible in the detail shot on the bottom.


(pen + paper, about 5" x 5")

It is encouraging that J-Fav knew, at a glance, which photograph this was from.



I used a set of 10? 11? custom "tiles" to build this mosaic. Tried to encode the DC component and some higher frequencies in different directions (i.e. white, grey, black, and "directionality" for each little square). Each 1/4-inch square on paper contains four 1/8" x 1/8" tiles.

g-fav

1 comment:

Professor B said...

This is very cool. I would like to know how you did it, seeing as I know very little about any sort of imaging technology...but the words Dither and Kernel sound cool.