30 June 2006

Links

Thank you for the helpful credit card suggestions. Back to the world of links.

A Troubling but Oddly Captivating Tune
Heard this morning on Boston's WFNX: Panic! at the Disco's "I Write Sins Not Tragedies." (What gives with this stuff? It's over a mellow violin synth background.)

In Portland, OR? Check out McMenamins
This is a fun, artsy, hip reconfigured old school - into a bunch of bars and B&B. It's wacky. McMenamins - Kennedy School. A business trip took me there; one of its restaurants is in an old science classroom with bunsen burners.

"Yahoo" is a Backronym for "Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle"
Find this and many, many other explanations for how companies got their names at Wikipedia. "CVS" stands for "Customer Value Stores."

A Song Made Out of PC Sounds
I still think this is neat. (It's a Shockwave file.) (Actually, it appears that it may not be working.)

The Guy in Harvard Square Who Plays that Few-Stringed Instrument and has a Faraway Look in his Eye
Enjoy this collector's item, this sure-to-become-an-heirloom, from hsquaredesigns. I won't credit the artist unless he wants to give up his anonymity.

Did I spell that right?

Anyhow:

Like Polaroid Art?
Then check out polanoid.net.

Vik Muniz Rocks the House
Visual artists as talented as he is make me wonder why I bother getting out of bed in the morning. In the gallery, check out "Pictures of Thread" and "Pictures of Chocolate" (around 1995). Yes, that's really thread and chocolate.

Bono is Interesting. No, really.
At least, I think so. I picked up (what one might consider to be a pulp biography) Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas in the airport. Ever since I read Brian Eno's A Year With Swollen Appendices, I gained an admiration forBono, and a sudden liking of U2. Just sayin'.

More Pointers to Edgy Science Books
edge.org has a new list, along the far righthand column of the site.

The Geneva Drive
A neat-o mechanism. Check it out. No, really. Ever wonder how movie film zips through the projector but the image at the screen is fairly stable? It's because the film isn't zipping continuously through the projector. It goes in little jerky steps; each frame is held in place (by something like a Geneva drive) and flashed twice on the screen.

Back with more useless knowledge,
g-fav

ps Those 11pm - 4am'tween T-Fav bottle feeding times are great for my Nintendo DS "New Super Mario Bros." addiction. Man I love it. And mini-games, too!

No comments: