23 July 2006

Remembering Where I Left Off; or Mind Mapping Software

Would it be helpful to somehow maintain a "sketch" of your mind's wanderings? Would it get you out of the usual repetitive ruts & actually lead to finding and exploring some answers? For example:


  • What should I do with the upcoming free afternoon, weekend, month, professional life...?
  • What fun dinner can I cook?
  • [Regarding problem X], how can I [blah]?
  • What gifts might J-Fav like?

Rather than starting from scratch each time these questions pop into your head, it might be interesting to resume from where you left off last time.

There is a class of visualization / note-taking software called "mind-mapping" or "thought-mapping" software. WikiPedia describes as mind map as follows:

It is an image-centered diagram that represents semantic or other connections between portions of information. By presenting these connections in a radial, non-linear graphical manner, it encourages a brainstorming approach to any given organizational task, eliminating the hurdle of initially establishing an intrinsically appropriate or relevant conceptual framework to work within.

So, Dear Readers, have any of you used any of - and can you comment on:

Mindfully yours,

G-Fav

4 comments:

Flavia said...

I haven't, but some of the bloggers I read have. I believe that Mel at In Favor of Thinking has discussed some of this programs--you might try Googling the appropriate terms and her blog and seeing what comes up.

Flavia said...

Duh. THESE programs, I mean to write.

G-Fav said...

Thanks, Flavia.

Mel's post is "In Favor of Thinking : FreeMind and project planning."

g

TroopOfChimps said...

Very interesting. I once tried to build a memory mansion in the style of Little, Big and its renaissance sources, but failed horribly because I could never remember how I'd built it. This seems like a good way of offloading the problem.