05 November 2006

Trying Japanese Instant Noodles, or "Alimentary, my Dear Watson"

Tonight I had unremarkable sushi at a small "bar" within a sort-of mini-Japan in Cambridge called The Porter Exchange. Afterwards, as usual, I went to the grocery store to stock up on things that dear J-Fav tolerates but wouldn't buy on her own: bonito flakes, seaweed, seaweed-based crackers, and two kinds of instant noodles that are a full notch above eleven-cent ramen.

This is my journey as a non-Japanese speaker into the world of multi-packet, fancy-boxed, all-Japanese-language ramen.

I picked up two things: U.F.O., which I've had before, and something new which translates to: "Japanese Style Alimentary Noodle: Ika Yakisoba Ohmori." Eagle-eyed readers will find it in the middle of this page from a food importer.

Alimentary noodles?

Figured I'd sort that out later. The instructions read:



No, really, click on that to see what you're supposed to do.

I thought the answer was cool: boil water, fold up bottom of package, pour in water (and packet of dried... squid? mushrooms?), fold down, and let sit 3 minutes. Then -- and this is the neat part -- fold back the top hinge which reveals a built-in strainer! Hoo-ee!! Pour out the water, mix in some black sauce, stir, and enjoy:





Mm-mm good! (Actually, it was. I'd buy it again.)

-gregg

4 comments:

TroopOfChimps said...

OMG. I always thought my instant sense of fellow-feeling with you came from your love of Elizabeth Bishop. (I taught a class on "One Art" today. Mmmm.) But now I know: half of that sense of kinship must come from your forays into the world of bizarre Asian instant noodles.

I've been adding cut up long beans and shitake mushrooms to mine lately.

Jedediah said...

Frankly, I found the noodles...alimentary.

Anonymous said...

Chimps, that's odd, J-Fav's really the one who mastered the art of losing things! (If you have favorite funky-noodles, share your preferences...)

g

ps This is neither here nore there, but you dear blog-readers out there might enjoy Tahnan's recent post:
regarding what comments one dreads hearing after you reveal what field you specialize in

DADDY VIN said...

A COUPLE OF TIMES A WEEK I LOVE TO EAT - BOWL NOODLE SOUP-KIMCHI
FLAVOR FOR A QUIK LUNCH.
YOU SHOULD TRY IT IF YOU REALLY LIKE SUPER HOT SNACKS.