22 August 2007

Summertime Low-Brow Humor

Sure, I could regale you with questions about stuff I'm reading in optical engineering textbooks, but I'm certain the real reason you're here is to find some easy-viewing humor.

Finnish Cover of "YMCA" (1979)
I don't know what I like more: that the band's name is Gregorius, or the groovy analog synth action during the first seven seconds of this clip. (I can picture others of you laughing around 00:49...) Here you go, as found through BoingBoing.

Certainly NSFW
I clicked on this around 9am at work today and laughed so hard I cried. I had to finally quit 2 minutes into it. (a difficult Super Mario Bros. level, with much profanity)

There, you are now complete with intellectual fodder to impress and bewilder your friends.

You know what? I just can't leave you like this. Here's some more.

Google Adds Star Charts to Google Earth
New Scientist article.

Extropy Institute: Closed!
Now J-Fav can stop worrying. I guess I'm a few years behind on this news, but they "dissolved" in late 2005 and now have a new mission. (What am I talking about? Actually, the dynamic optimism section sounds pretty good to me...)

The software awards scam (re: Successful Software blog)
Well, it was an eye-opener for me. Ever download free software apps based on whether or not they have a multitude of little award logos? Think twice.

Presentation Zen: Where can you find good images?

Hey, Product Designers
Did you know that Don Norman is working on several new books?

Sigh. That's better.

g-fav

4 comments:

RLM said...

Oh my gosh, G, that Mario video is incredible! I watched the whole thing (hey, I needed a good laugh tonight after the crappy Red Sox game) and it had me in stitches. But, the most important question -- what the heck levels are these? (About 11 minutes in he makes it to "1-2", which is equally insane.) Never seen *anything* like these levels. Do you get to them with a cheat code or something? Have you ever seen them yourself?

Professor B said...

Hey,

I also laughed my butt off at this. "F**k you, King Koopa". Ha! I am pretty sure that this is the original Super Mario Bros. 2 that was released in Japan and was basically insanely hard, which is why it was never released in the states -- the figured that American gamers would riot if the game were this difficult. So instead, they took some random Japanese NES game (Doki Doki Panic, if I remember), altered the sprites of the main characters to make them look like Mario, Luigi, etc., and then called that Super Mario Bros. 2 here in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros.:_The_Lost_Levels

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._2

G-Fav said...

Woah, that's good detective work. I was wondering what that really was...
-g
(yes, it's really 4am)

jenniferlopez said...

EARNING MONEY IN ONLINE NEVER BEEN THIS EASY AND TRANSPARENT.YOU WOULD FIND GREAT TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE THAT DREAM AMOUNT EVERY DAY.SITTING IN THE HOME EARN AROUND $100 PERDAY. SO GO AHEAD AND click here FOR MORE DETAILS AND OPEN FLOODGATES TO YOUR ONLINE INCOME.

ALL THE BEST

THANQ