01 November 2007

Just saying "hi"

Hello,

Sorry, I'm going to indulge in a bit of traditional what-I-did-tonight-though-no one-should-care blogging to displace the usual 400 links at midnight.

After work, J-Fav, T-Fav, and I tried some of Trader Joe's "just heat it up" Chicken Fajitas and Carnitas (the latter being quite good). After helping a post-Halloween sleepy Toby to bed, we did an enormous garbage run and exhausted the evening's Tivo buffer (which fortunately held The Office but unfortunately not 30 Rock). I did a little personal website updating (new patent, woo-hoo!), and I searched the bookshelves of the house for two books that I just got but cannot, for the life of me, find: Edward O. Wilson's Consilience and Bob Southard's Ordinary Secrets.

Ordinary Secrets is a heartfelt book written by a businessman who, behind the scenes, spent many years quietly investigating meditation and reiki, traveling to beautiful locations to commune with nature, and mastering hypnotherapy. He distilled his findings - as "ordinary Bob" - into a collection of thought exercises and affirmations. It's very distant from the stuff I usually read, and I am enjoying it. Adding to the enjoyment is that Bob was a co-worker of mine, and I keep scratching my head over all the additional things we could have talked about if only I knew that these things were among his interests! Anyhow, you might want to pick it up. [amazon]

As I write this, it's a quarter to midnight. Eddie "Danger" Favalora (our cat) is curled up in a ball, sleeping on the blanket that J-Fav is snoozing under. Her inner clock magically puts her to sleep at exactly 11 pm, something she's demonstrated for eight years now. The only thing I manage to do at 11 pm is become more awake!

I am beginning to see why so many blogs are of this I-brushed-my-teeth-today variety. I will spare you except to add that I have kept with the two things on my "personal syllabus:" learning Mathematica and C++, although, frankly, I am unhappy with the C++ book I chose despite seeking the advice of experts on the xkcd fora. (Note to self: get C++ Primer Plus, and put down The C++ Primer!) The little makeshift study in our guest room has been a good place to hide and read for an hour each night.

It wouldn't be G-Fav's blog without a list of things to click on.

  • Geometry Wars is coming to Wii and DS
  • RLM points out The Mobius (several minutes of seemingly random activity at a Starbucks repeats for an hour)... I also liked Slo-mo Home Depot
  • Sugar Skull tutorial
  • A good graphic design laugh: "The best and worst (corporate) logo remakes of the century" (here)
  • How did I miss this? Tay Zonday's "Chocolate Rain."
  • "The New Nostradamus," an article in Good about an NYU politics professor, Bruce Bueno de Mesquita, and his extraordinarily good predictions about foreign policy (and other matters).

Enough!
g-fav

2 comments:

Ian Varley said...

Don't know what C++ book you're working through, but my all-time favorite is "Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckel. Might be hard to track down now, but it's really great as a "thinking person's" C++ book. Eckel is a great writer and lays out WHY things work in certain ways. And for that matter, two other recs on coding I'd make are a) The Best Software Writing Vol 1 by Joel Spolsky, and b) Code Complete (by I forget who).

G-Fav said...

Hey, it's good to meet you, if only asynchronously... I'm using The C++ Primer (Lippman, I think?). I have an old version of Deitel & Deitel, too. Thanks for the suggestions. I read Joel's blog from time to time & certainly enjoy that.

-g