11 February 2008

A few things to click on

Hello -

A particular entry in a conversation on xkcd regarding "Awesome Textbooks," in which said awesomeness is due to unexpected silliness in an otherwise serious text (in this case, statistical mechanics).

On Gawker, regarding people who dominate coffee shops with laptops. For hours.

I expected the worst when I dropped $20 on a new alarm clock at Walgreens, and was pleasantly surprised. This thing sets itself, is aware of time changes, and contains optics sufficient to project the time on the wall or ceiling. Yes, it's the Emerson CKS3516!

Haruki Murakami, anyone? I am halfway through After Dark, but was hoping for something that I'd find more compelling, perhaps though greater suspense or surreality. Kafka on the Beach, maybe? [review]

The entire universe!
Sure, it takes a long time to load, but so did the formation of galaxies.

Former roommates might concur that this 30-second comedic short adequately mirrors my late-night state of mind. (The Lonely Island's "Thuggish Ruggish Bone.") (UPDATE: Aw, man. I didn't realize this was due to a song.)

Wired.com: "Feb. 1, 1893: Lights! Kinetograph! Action!" about Thomas Edison's West Orange, NJ laboratory, the site of the first motion picture studio. I grew up in West Orange, so this was a frequent site for class field trips.

I guess the Cooper Black and Helvetica t-shirts are still available at Wire & Twine.

Updated references to contemporary photographers at i heart photograph.

Finally, an out-of-character presentation from Bill Gates with plenty of celebrity cameo action:



-g

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haruki Murakami! My favorite of his is The Wild Sheep Chase, with Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World a close second. Not sure why I didn't like Kafka on the Shore as much--it's a lot more violent, for one thing. I'm very bad at figuring out what's actually going on in any of his work, which I think is one of the things I enjoy about it--if there are people who can understand it all, they may have a completely different take.

--Norvin

Matthias said...

Hey, PARDON ME FOR INTRUDING ON YOUR BLOG, but would you mind pasting in the xkcd forum thing for those of us who don't have (or want) logins?

Jennifer said...

Norvin!!!!

Thanks, I'll check out The Wild....

Matthias -

You!?! Just kidding. I didn't think they'd need a login. Let's see, here's one:

David Goodstein, in States of Matter, wrote:
Ludwig Boltzmann, who spent much of his life studying statistical mechanics, died in 1906, by his own hand. Paul Ehrenfest, carrying on the work, died similarly in 1933. Now it is our turn to study statistical mechanics.

-g