04 March 2008

A mix for sitting there, with headphones

I don't know how this will play out, but here are the tracks of a CD I just burned. I suspect it'll be better for iPod-travel or quiet listening than work music, for which trance works a lot better for me. ANYHOW, perhaps you'll enjoy finding a new artist amongst these tracks.

1. "In the Air Tonight" - Phil Collins (yeah, yeah, I know; heck, at least I'll know if my speakers are set right)
2. "Silouans Song" - Arvo Part
3. "Peacock Tail" - Boards of Canada
4. "Just Like Paradise" - David Lee Roth (this is on heavy rotation at the Walgreens up the street. I only end up there in the evening, around 10pm, performing random chores. Something about the late hour makes the place seem spooky, like the too-sterile department store in the Romanek film One Hour Photo.)
5. "Hard Sun (main)" - Eddie Vedder
6. "Central Nervous Piston" - El Ten Eleven (Please do me a favor and listen to a few El Ten Eleven tracks on iTunes.)
7. "Let Go" - Frou Frou (I must be going through a Garden State phase, eh?)
8. "Resurrection Fern" - Iron & Wine
9. "Little Wing" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
10. "Hummingbird" - Kris Delmhorst
11. "Thank You" - Led Zeppelin
12. "Closer" - Nine Inch Nails
13. "A Warm Place" - Nine Inch Nails
14. "Tears From The Compound Eye" - Boards of Canada
15. "Signal to Noise" - Peter Gabriel
16. "Nice Guy" - The Animators

In the rare instances that I've bought someone a CD as a gifts, it's usually been Arvo Part's Te Deum. Check it out if you like modern choral composers. It is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. Likewise, one of the few pop-folk groups that I've grown to like recently is Iron & Wine.

Have fun,

-g

No comments: