02 March 2008

Questions to my erudite readership

Our memories are failing us. Does anyone recall...

...anything about a Japanese architect who proposed designing deliberately confusing and hard-to-navigate housing with the goal of keeping the senior citizen inhabitants' thinking sharp? (I imagine throwing the right-angle-free Morse and Stiles into a blender, adding an obstacle course, and painting it in day-glo colors.)

...what movie or TV show had a joke about a man on a desert island who encounters a mermaid, except that her top half is a fish? (This reminded J-Fav and I of an episode of "Thirty Rock" in which a writer wore a baseball cap reading "half centaur.")


-g

3 comments:

sheryl k said...

I don't know the name of the Japanese architect, but I did meet someone in college whose step-father designed housing for senior citizens. His goal was not to keep their minds sharp but to replicate their home life safely. For example, there would be a back door in a nursing home apartment leading to a "backyard" that was actually a circular path they couldn't get lost in.

matthias said...

"Family Guy" did the fish joke in "Lois Kills Stewie," but it was Lois on the island and it was a man-fish. (Yeah, I like "Family Guy," but I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't just caught the rerun the other night. Even I have my limits. Anyway, it being "Family Guy," was probably a spoof of whatever you're thinking of.)

G-Fav said...

Sheryl - That's... just... sad.

Matthias - Yes! That's what I was thinking of.

g