24 November 2008

Fives: Ideas for Geek Gifts

1. A solar-powered, bug-like robot kit that follows the principles of "BEAM" robotics. Basically, it ain't programmed, and stores up energy to hop from place to place. Try Solarbotics, Ltd.

2. Remote-controlled mini helicopter for $25. Air Hogs Apache Havoc Helicopter (Target / Amazon)

3. Fiction by Douglas Coupland, Neal Stephenson, or if you can get your hands on a copy, "Zeraus"'s Daemon. (That last one should be back in print in a few months at normal paperback prices.)

4. The Tenori-On (US$1,200).

5. Something Arduino.

Bonus. A t-shirt that says "Initech" but not this t-shirt that says "meh."

g

3 comments:

sheryl k said...

One day you will explain to me why you list Suarez' books as written by Zeraus, and I'll explain to you what I spent four hours at the library and B&N trying to figure out!!

G-Fav said...

OMG, I am so sorry. That's the name he used in the edition I have. Tell me he dropped the pen-name after he switched publishers...

-g

helan said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Barbara

http://www.ipodepot.info